The Breville BES870XL Barista Express is an updated, improved and newer model of the Breville BES860XL Barista Express. Here are a few of the improvements and changes that have been made to the Breville BES870XL in light of the former model Breville BES860XL:
1. The Coffee Bean Hopper was redesigned and made slightly larger, which reduces the amount of spills from large amounts of coffee being used
2. Users gain more control over brew temperature
3. Added a hot water dispenser
4. Added an auto shut-off function
5. The BES870XL’s functions at 1600 watts of power vs. 1450 watts in the BES860XL
Purchase includes dual-wall filters which provide excellent practice for wannabe-baristas and acts as a great first step for anyone wanting to learn how to make great espresso but is currently without much experience.
Thanks to an integrated burr grinder, you can experience fresh, quality espresso at remarkable speeds and not have to spend time and energy grinding coffee beans beforehand. This product allows you to go from beans to a beautiful bounty of espresso in less than 1 minute and all in the comfort of your own home.
If you are a beginner, this is a great place to start because this machine comes with a pressurized filter that regulates and controls the pressure of extraction which helps to draw out the best flavors and textures. If you are a more experienced espresso connoisseur, you can enjoy using a non-pressurized filter which gives you more room and responsibility to experiment with as well as play around with different grind sizes, amounts, and pressures.
Key Features of Breville BES870XL
- 15 bar Italian pump
- Stainless steel conical burr grinder with 1/2 lb. sealed bean hopper
- 67 fluid oz (2L) removable and top-fill water tank with replaceable water filter to reduce impurities and keep your water clean
- Sleek, stainless steel casing
- Grind size and grind amount selector dials allow you to choose among grind settings from fine to coarse and adjust the amount of freshly ground espresso dosed into the filter basket
- Hands-free grinding cradle automatically stops when the indicated amount has been dispensed
- 54mm stainless steel portafilter
- Volumetric control allows you to choose and preset 1 or 2 cup volumes, manual over-ride and reprogrammable shot volumes
- Thermocoil, made of stainless steel, heating system controls water temperature
- Automated “clean me” light comes on when a cleaning cycle is required
- Cleaning kit included
- 360-degree swivel action steam wand for effortless milk texturing and frothing
- Removable drip tray that tells you when it needs to be emptied and catches wet as well as dry spills
Size – 13.2 x 12.5 x 15.8 inches
Weight – 23 pounds
Benefits of Breville BES870XL
- Built with quality products to provide a sturdy, long-lasting and completely slip-free experience
- This is a great product for everyone; even complete beginners and aspiring baristas can pull a perfect shot and make delicious cups of coffee with ease and enjoyment
- This is about as close to a professional quality machine that you can get without paying a significant amount more for the “title” and official requirements
- Online user manual available for download in PDF
- Product is covered under a warranty, which is also available for download in PDF through Amazon
Recommendations for Breville BES870XL
- Use freshly ground beans for every shot for the best-tasting espresso
- If you are a beginner, follow the instructions
- Take time to learn the ins and outs of the machine; knowing how it will perform and making yourself aware of all that it can do is a great way to ensure that you are getting the most out of your machine
- Take care of your machine, cleaning it after every use
- A pre-brew function and a flat headed water dispenser ensure that the water is optimally and evenly distributed through the coffee puck
- Has a cup warmer on the top of the machine
- Has a feature that removes excess water from the filter basket after the grounds have been extracted so that used grounds form a dry puck for quicker and more convenient cleanup
- Great for all espresso lovers, beginners to professionals
- This machine is not National Sanitation Foundation (NSF) certified, which means that it can not be used for a small business and is only approved for private use in the home
- Double shot filter does not work or pull at the right pressure and produces weak espresso or “decent” coffee
Pick Breville BES870XL if…
- You want to brew espresso at home with a high quality semi-automatic espresso machine
- You are a beginner and want to ease into making great espresso
- You are an intermediate and you want to experiment with trying your hand at more advanced espresso techniques
What Users Liked
- 4.5 out of 5 stars, 841 customer reviews on Amazon
- Great for beginners or advanced espresso users
- Allows you to experiment and learn about espresso while doing it
- Convenient, fun and easy to use
- Breville has good customer support
- The dual-wall filter is fantastic for upcoming baristas
What Users Disliked
- Unlike fully automated espresso machines, this one can be a little messy
- Numerous malfunctions with steam wand not restarting and the machine grinding too much coffee
- Pressure gauge frequently loses power
- Grinding sound tends to be quite loud and gets louder with time
Looking for a different model?
If you don’t want to go high for now and prefer an espresso machine that offers best value, then we recommend you to read the Breville 800ESXL espresso machine review.
If you are looking for a budget-friendly espresso machine, then Mr. Coffee BVMC-ECMP1000 Cafe Barista Espresso Machine review is worth to read.
Or do you need a full automatic espresso machine to grab your delicious cup of espresso with a click of a button? Here are the best super automatic espresso machine reviews.
If you like this Breville BES870XL Barista Express Espresso Machine review, please share it from the buttons below.