If you are looking for a semi-automatic espresso machine for home, this is a great choice. While the Breville 800ESXL is designed to pull an incredible shot of espresso, it is important to follow all of the necessary steps in order to make this happen. The machine will work really well, for example, if you are willing to work a little bit for it in exchange. What do we mean by this?
For starters, make sure to use only freshly ground coffee beans. Coffee is meant to be fresh and loses its aroma and flavor rapidly, within minutes to be exact. Second, make sure you preheat the machine; it works best hot and functions best under these conditions. If you are not in a rush, you’ll get a better cup of joe.
Next, you will want your espresso to mirror a sand-like consistency, fine and smooth. Once you have this, fill the basket with grounds, level out the grounds to create a flat and even top, tamp with roughly 25 to 30 pounds of pressure and knock the tamp on the side of the basket to sink grounds deeper into the basket and pack them in. Extract the espresso for 25 to 28 seconds and begin counting when you hear the clicks, which will begin a few seconds after the initial startup of the machine.
Finally, make sure to clean the group head and wipe down the machine thoroughly so that your machine will pull nicely next time. Coffee and milk can be problematic if not cleaned immediately as milk dries in crusty, hard-to-remove layers and coffee contains natural oils that can discolor and distort the surface of your machine.
Once you have done this routine properly a handful of times, making coffee in this fashion will become a simple routine. If you are the kind of person that likes to wake up, press a button and have coffee at your disposal almost instantly, then this machine might not be the right one for you. The Breville 800ESXL requires curiosity, a willingness to learn, attentive and frequent care for your machine and the ability to enjoy a really great shot of espresso in the comfort of your own home. If you want to keep the creativity in coffee, this is a great machine for you. If you want to get your hands on one of the best value Semi-Automatic Espresso Machine, get your hands on this one.
Key Features of Breville 800ESXL
- 15 bar Italian pump
- Purge function automatically adjusts water temperature after steaming for optimal espresso extraction temperature
- The Triple Prime Pump releases 3 bursts of hot water to moisten the coffee grounds resulting in a richer, more full-bodied flavor
- 75 fluid oz (2.2L) removable front-fill water tank
- Attractive appearance featuring a durable stainless-steel casing
- 1-year warranty
Size – 15 x 16 x 13 inches
Weight – 16 pounds
Benefits of Breville 800ESXL
- Breville 800ESXL comes with all necessary and functioning parts including filters, tamping tool, cleaning tools, and stainless-steel frothing pitcher
- Learn how to make great-quality espresso from the convenience of your home
Recommendations for Breville 800ESXL
- The machine can be a bit picky about how you pack the grounds; get a good tamp and pack it in nicely
- Place the machine on a folded towel to reduce vibrations and “catch” any excesses messes
- Unplug the machine after each use, per recommendation of the manual, or it might make a slight humming sound
- Pre-heat the machine and run water through the portafilter for at least 10 seconds; this increases the water temperature from 140 to 174 degrees and is recommended in the instruction manual
- Keep your frothing pitcher in the freezer, and use very cold milk
- Always use freshly ground beans and filtered water
- Buy good-quality beans
- Aesthetically pleasing and attractive
- Easy clean up and convenient to use
- Machine heats up quite fast
- The machine “pays for itself” after roughly 150 shots of espresso have been pulled through the machine
- It is a great way to save money and still enjoy great espresso from the convenience of your home
- The filters and group head are made of steel and not of brass, which has a high thermal conductivity and mass, helping keep the water hot on the way to the grounds
- Espresso is not very hot when extracted and milk tends to be flat and lifeless, not frothy and dense
- The pump tends to give out after the warranty is up
- The plastic valve that is currently operating on most machines has been discontinued making it nearly impossible to replace if it breaks
Pick Breville 800ESXL if…
- You want to brew espresso at home with a semi-automatic espresso machine providing best value for the money spent
- You are not looking for the best machine on the market, but want the best machine for the price range
What Users Liked
- 4 out of 5 stars, 371 product reviews on Amazon
- There is a small storage compartment under the water tank to store the cleaning tools, extra gruppa, and other miscellaneous items
- Produces consistently great espresso
- Produces espresso with a thick head and a lot of cream
What Users Disliked
- Dual-wall filters do not produce a silky cream
- When problems arise and the machine needs fixing, it is a hassle to return because you have to pay to mail it in and Breville takes months to respond
- Breville’s customer service seems to leave customers with less-than-satisfied feelings
- The machine started developing bubbles and decaying under the stainless coating on both of the sides and where the brewing device is connected; eventually, little silver pieces started flaking off
Looking for a different model?
If you are eager to buy the best overall espresso machine, then we recommend you to read the Breville BES870XL Barista Express espresso machine review.
If you are looking for a budget-friendly espresso machine, then you would like to read the Mr. Coffee BVMC-ECMP1000 Cafe Barista Espresso Machine review.
Or do you need a full automatic espresso machine to grab your delicious cup of espresso with a click of a button? Here are the best super automatic espresso machine reviews.
If you like this Breville 800ESXL Barista Express Espresso Machine review, please share it from the buttons below.